PIERIAN SODALITY TO OPEN TRIALS TONIGHT

WOODWORTH ACTS AS CONDUCTOR OF ORCHESTRA

Trials for the Harvard University Orchestra will be held in the Pierian Sodality room of the Music Building tonight and tomorrow night from 6.30 to 7 o'clock and after the rehearsals on those evenings. All members of the University are eligible to membership.

The Harvard University Orchestra, the Pierian Sodality of 1808, this year is conducted by G.W. Woodworth '24 who is assistant conductor of the Glee Club. Its first concert of the spring season will be offered at Milton Academy on February 13. There will be a performance at Brattle Hall, February 26, concerts at the Harvard Club of Boston and the Boston Public Library, and, as the final appearance of the season, a concert at Wellesley in conjunction with the Wellesley College Choir. A visit to Groton Academy has been arranged tentatively.

The present enrollment of the orchestra exceeds 50 men. The purposes of the organization are to present an opportunity for practical work to those who are interested in playing in an orchestra and who wish to gain intimate knowledge of the works of the better known composers. Recent programs given by the orchestra have included works of Bach, Handel, Haydn, and Byrd in addition to compositions by more modern writers such as Dvorak and Milhand.