Reply

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In order to clarify any misunderstanding in the minds of the members of the Class of 1930, I wish' to state fully the conditions which will confront our Class at the Twenty-fifth Reunion in 1955. The situation that has confused some members of the Class involves two separate and distinct funds. The first fund is a gift to the University from the members of our Class. The second fund is one raised to defray the expenses of our Twenty-fifth Reunion.

First consideration should be given to the gift. It has been the custom for many years for the class celebrating its Twenty-fifth Reunion to give to the College a gift of about $150,000. The present means of raising this fund is by direct contribution from the individual members of the Class to the Harvard Fund. All contributions going to the Harvard Fund are credited to our Class for this gift. It has been necessary in the past to supplement this amount by additional contributions raised through a "drive" organized by the permanent treasure: shortly before the "Twenty-fifth Reunion.

The second fund is to defray our own expenses at the Twenty-fifth Reunion. It must be borne in mind that this Reunion is the most important after our graduation in June. It is customary that the entire expense of this Reunion, both for the members of the Class and their families, be paid through the funds to be accumulated. If we should make any direct charge at the time of the Reunion, we would keep away many who would like to come. Some of the expenses which we will incur are the Twenty-fifth Anniversary Report: the Field Day for the Class: the Field Day for the wives and children; bands and orchestras: Class banquet: secretarial expenses contingent upon organizing the Reunion, and many other expenditures to underwrite the various entertainments to be planned by the Reunion Committee.

It seems the part of wisdom to plan for this fund now and not to ask for additional contributions when we are raising our $150,000 gift.

After consultation with members of previous classes, it became clear to me that it is impossible to count on a contribution from 100 per cent of the Class. I based my request for contributions on the assumption that there would be about one-third of the Class who would be unable to contribute.

In raising funds it is necessary to strike a balance between past experience and the hope of a 100 per cent contribution. Therefore, I was quite sincere in stating that I needed the cooperation of the whole Class, for I hoped through this request to be able to raise an amount in excess of the required $50,000, and to turn such excess over to the Harvard Fund as a part payment towards our Twenty-fifth gift.

The actual sum that I am trying to raise to turn over to the life insurance company is $17,907. However, the Class must take into consideration that I have assumed these payments over a ten year period in order that the maximum possible number of the Class should be able to contribute through some plan within their means. The experience of previous classes proves that the raising of any such sum as $17,907 in one year is out of all proportion to the ability of the Class to make such contributions.

In order to obviate the possibility of my assuming a premium payment in excess of the amount contributed, it is necessary that I have an early reply to my letter so that the Class may know the exact conditions before they are scattered through spring activities, examinations, and graduation. James Roosevelt '30.   Treasurer Class 1930.