FRESHMEN SPLIT EVEN IN TRIANGULAR DEBATE

DEBATE QUESTION OF ONE SPORT CONTEST A YEAR

Speaking at Princeton on the negative side of the question, "Resolved, That college athletics should be intramural with the exception of one game a year for each sport", the Harvard Freshman debating team successfully met the arguments of the Orange speakers, and won the debate by a judges decision.

The Freshman debaters were the following: E. W. Fuller Jr. '33, A. G. Malkan '33, D. T. Taradash '33, and R. S. Fitzgerald '33, alternate. Speaking for the Princeton first year team were the following: Carl Bredenberg, Robert Pasley, and H. G. Crockett.

Affirmative Team Loses

At the same time in the New Lecture Hall here, a second group of Harvard speakers upheld the affirmative side of the question against the freshman debaters from Yale. The debate was attended by not more than 25 persons, the large majority of whom were freshmen, who gave the victory to the New Haven delegation, basing their decision on the merits of the question, and not on the merits of the speaking.

The Freshmen who took part in the debate in the New Lecture Hall were as follows: J. B. Glibert '33, D. M. Sullivan '33, J. R. Wink '33, and W. A. McGivney, alternate. For Yale, the debaters were the following: Seegall, Lindley, and Ferris. The six minute rebuttal was conducted for Harvard by J. R. Wink '33, and for Yale by Lindley. Organized under the auspices of the English department, the debate was supervised by R. W. Coues '95, and R. B. Eckles '32.

Debating at Harvard this year has reached great heights, according to E. M. Rowe 1G, coach of the University debaters, who recently stated that this year's group of speakers is the finest aggregation that has been here for the last five years. University competition in a triangular debate similar to the Freshman Harvard-Yale-Princeton competition has not, however, been undertaken by Rowe's proteges.