PUTTING ON THE RITZ

Although the Freshman Jubilee Committee strayed far from the traditional norm as pointed out in a letter run elsewhere in these columns, further acquaintance with the light in which this would be received by members of the Class of 1933 has convinced those concerned of the error of their judgment. The members of the committee are to be commended for their apt appreciation of the point of view opposed to their intended move.

There exists at Harvard a unique tradition, unlike that of many college and universities in this country. This tradition embodies the tenet that no Freshman activity, be it Red Book, Jubilee, or class affair of any sort, shall be concerned with making money for those involved in the project. It is in their violation of a wise tradition more than in their appropriation of class funds that the proposed action of the Jubilee Committee is ill-advised. The profits of the 1933 Red Book may be large enough to pay the Jubilee expenses twice over, but that does not justify the appropriation of some of the surplus to entertain the committee members and their guests at dinner at the Ritz-Carlton.

The chief virtue of the Harvard tradition that no first year project shall bring money to the pockets of those involved in it is that it keeps Freshman activities from being exploited. Any step which tends to start the first year classes on the path which leads to the ultimate goal of doing the job for monetary reward, even if the reward but provides a dinner, should be avoided. Freshman committees may strive to give their class creditable Red Books and dances, but dinners at the Ritz should be deleted from the program of the Harvard social lion-cubs.