SWIGERT IS WINNER OF $100 COOLIDGE AWARD

TOTAL OF 20 DEBATING PRIZES GIVEN

Results of the Coolidge awards for the Harvard-Yale-Princeton debates for 1929-30 were announced last night by E. M. Rowe 1G coach of the University debating team.

The Coolidge prize of $100 for this year has been awarded to James Mack Swigert '30, of Des Moines. Iowa. Honorable mention went to Gerald Wallace Harrington '30, of Mattapoisett; Haig Gregory Abdian '30, of Arlington; and Dwight Irving Cooke, Jr. '31, of Detroit, Michigan. These men will receive Coolidge Debating Medals for speakers. Other men who have also won these medals are: Robert Bower Eckles '32, of York Nebraska: Paul Cashman Reardon '32, of Quiney: and James Mack Swigert '30.

Alternate Medals for Ten

Alternate medals in this competition have been awarded to Philip Henry Cohen '32, of Sandy Hook, New Jersey; Charles Francis Elliott '31, of Holly Springs, Georgia; Wilbur Ellis Esber '31, of Canton, Ohio; Frederick Charles Fiechter Jr. '32, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; John Francis Harding '30, of Pittsfield; David Demarest Lloyd '31, of Plainfield, New Jersey; Armistead Buckner Rood '31, of Concord; and Francis Beattie Thurber '30, of New York. These medals were also given to the manager, James Stanley Jennison '30, of Cambridge, and to his assistant Justin Robert Wolf '32, of Omaha, Nebraska.

The 20 recipients listed above represent the cream of a field of over 50 men who came out for the competition in February. Since that time the number has been reduced to finals after a series of 20 trials by each man. The results indicate one of the most successful years of debating ever experienced in the University. Out of 24 debates, the Harvard speakers won 10, lost 5, tied 1; six were no-decision debates, while two were discussion debates.