THE CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE

The Confidential Guide that has become an annual feature of the CRIMSON is an attempt to give to the undergraduate body some idea of student feeling toward the courses offered in Harvard College. The faculty is amply represented in the catalogue and the various conferences with instructors that are provided. Unassisted, student feeling never becomes more than an uncertain innuendo that is never sufficiently obvious to be effective.

It is the aim of these guides to crystallize to some extent this feeling among the undergraduates. Usually the articles published are individual opinions and as such they necessarily can not be expected to reflect a universal opinion. An effort has been made, however, to put this work in the hands of those who would be inclined to render then: as fair and illuminating as possible. In the matter of large key courses, the opinion of several persons is incorporated in the article so that the best possible criticism can be given.

The important feature of this matter is that, it is a defined undergraduate opinion. It affords a means of ascertaining just how well the various instructors accomplish their aims as teachers, raison d'etre is to remove to some extent the grave misfortune of becoming snared in some course that has no profit, an extremely expensive experience in the four short years of college. Naturally imperfect and with many short comings as a result of the personal element of the opinions, nevertheless it can help to avoid the tragedy of wasted time.