"CHARLES AND MARY" TO BE DRAMATIC CLUB PLAY

TRYOUTS WILL BE HELD MONDAY FOR CANDIDATES

"Charles and Mary" by Joan Temple will be the fall production of the Harvard Dramatic Club, according to announcement made last night by J. F. Joyce '33, president of the club. Although never before produced in this country, the play was presented in England where it enjoyed a very successful run at the Everyman's Theatre in Hampstead. Its author, Miss Temple, is comparatively unknown in America but has attained a considerable reputation in England where, like Jane Cowl, she frequently acts in her own plays.

Based on the fives of Charles and Mary Lamb, the play includes in its cast such characters as Wordsworth, Coleridge, and others of their immediate circle. It offers, therefore, a unique problem in casting, as well as unlimited possibilities for effective settings and costumes. It will be produced in Brattle Hall on three successive evenings beginning Wednesday, December 16.

Massey to be Director

G. E. Massey '15 director of many well-known plays and a members of the Dramatic Club, will come on from New York especially to direct this play. Massey was identified for many years with the famous '47 Workshop" and in the year of his graduation from Harvard wrote "Plots and Playwrights," which was subsequently produced is New York.

Try-outs will be held Monday afternoon and evening for all men in the University who would like to take part in "Charles and Mary." In addition to acting, competitions are conducted in business management, staging, and publicity. Candidates are also invited to attend the meeting for members tomorrow at 5 o'clock at Phillips Brooks House, when the play will be read and discussed.