THREE CRIMSON BOARDS OPEN TO '34 CANDIDATES

SHORTER TRIALS TO END BEFORE EXAMS BEGIN

At 7.15 tomorrow evening the second CRIMSON competition for the Freshman Class will begin for candidates in all three departments. Men who wish to try out for the News, Business, or Photographic boards should meet in the president's office in the CRIMSON building at 14 Plympton Street for a preliminary discussion of their work.

Candidates trying out for the News department will be assigned to definite news sources which they will visit every day for possible stories. Aside from these assignments special emphasis will be placed on "scoops", stories or interviews, secured outside these assignments. Stories will be written up every day, for the next morning's paper. This work involves not only all the experience which is derived from news writing, but also affords an excellent opportunity for understanding the organization of the College, and for meeting members of the faculty. Work for the first week will be light, until the candidates become accustomed to the simple routine.

Business candidates are occupied chiefly by visiting business men in Cambridge and Boston to obtain advertisements for the paper. In this way they have a chance to form valuable contacts with business men, and to see at first hand the workings of the various offices. The candidates also assist in the planning of the advertisements, and thus have an opportunity to learn the principles of this phase of newspaper work.

Freshmen intending to try out for the photographic board do not need to have much previous experience. Their work will consist of visiting and taking pictures of men and groups around the college. The work of developing and printing will be fully explained, and much valuable experience can be gained.

All competitions will last eight weeks, ending approximately a week before final examinations begin.