GRADUATE ENGINEERING ENROLLMENT INCREASES

SCHOOL FAVORS CONCENTRATED GRADUATE WORK

That the Harvard Engineering School is rapidly changing from an undergraduate to a graduate school, in accordance with the desires of the faculty, is proved by recent enrollment statistics. While the number of undergraduates has decreased from 173 last year to 105 this year, the total of graduate students has risen from 101 to 112, a percentage increase of 10.9.

"The gain in the number of graduate students has been most satisfactory," states Dean Clifford, "the present number being the largest in the history of the school. The falling off in the undergraduate enrollment comes as a result of the transfer of first and second year men from the Engineering School to the College, and the exclusion of undergraduate students in the School from the Houses.

"This is in accord with the advice of the faculty of the Engineering School to such students, that they may secure the broad general education which the college gives as preparation for the highly specialized and intensive training in the Graduate School of Engineering. Harvard is unique among American engineering schools in the belief that the best interests of the profession will be served by intensive graduate professional work instruction. Engineering study, taken intensively, requires a maturity of mind that the average undergraduate does not possess."