PROSIT

The proposed beer bill soon to be brought up in the Senate has several unsatisfactory features, but never-the-less it is important as a revenue producing measure. This bill, written by Senator Walsh of Massachusetts, provides for the sale and manufacture of "beer, ale, porter, bock, stout, lager, or a name similar thereto." With the above-named beverages taken out of the prohibition amendment, no other federal legislation would be necessary, since there is an existing tax of six dollars a barrel on beer on one hand, and the Webb-Kenyen act protecting-dry states on the other.

The possibilities of the passage of a beer bill require consideration since they are not understood by many people. There are three reasons that make its success likely. First is the fact, that Congress has full power to interpret the definition of intoxicating liquors; secondly, proceeding from the first reason, such an act only needs a majority vote to become law; and lastly that it is generally believed that the Supreme Court will uphold any definition that Congress may make. As the situation stands, it is hardly possible for the drys to block the act.

Except to the confirmed beer-lover, however, this measure is little more than palliative. As far as it goes it is practical since it will provide supposedly three hundred million dollars revenue, and is also expected to prevent racketeering brewers by supervising manufacture. Although it will scarcely satisfy the repeal sentiment throughout the country, it is a step in the right direction; and its practical application will do much to guide Congress in the long process of working out a repeal measure that will not turn out to be another "experiment."