Rampant Corruption in City Government After World War Not Condemned Says Seasongood--Depression Brings It to Life

"Corrupt and incompetent local government received little attention in view of the losses and increased living expenses in the period of inflation after the World War," declared Murray Season-good '00, former mayor of Cincinnati and Godkin Lecturer. "With so much money to be made in business and the professions, it seemed wholly unimportant that the bosses were accumulating huge fortunes illegally.

"Now, in the time of trouble, this lack of attention to the most important branch of government in our country, for so many years, is having serious results. The taxpayer is revolting against the needless burden he has been required to bear. New local governments are made to assume new and costly services, including unemployment relief on an unprecedented scale and yet operate with reduced taxes. Many medicine men are prescribing aids for the local government in the form of state or federal assistance. It is, however, possible for citizens to organize effectively enough to bring about good local government in their city or county. But the difficulties of bringing about good government are numerous. Local affairs are often retarded by having to face the dictation of hostile, politically-minded, state or federal commissions or officials.

"The important thing to be gained from this period of sorrow and want is the recognition of the importance of local government, and that the best way to reduce the taxes is to have good government in cities and counties of this country," continued Mr. Seasongood. "It is the most important branch of government, although not generally thought of as such. The best remedy for the ills is a realization on the part of the people that it is extremely costly to have poor local government, and tax money amounting to many million dollars can be saved by good, efficient local government."