SHORTER HOURS

The decision of the American Federation of Labor for a shorter working week, although enthusiastically received by the Convention, is generally a poor idea. The Convention, after hearing the plea of President Green, voted overwhelmingly for a thirty hour week with-out any reduction of wages; this schedule would provide for a five day week of six work hours daily. It is hoped that the plan will be applied first to government positions. Government adoption of the plan it is felt will cause it to spread throughout the country. But in case the government remains aloof, a resort to strikes and picketing is contemplated.

There are two very strong objections to the plan. From an economical point of view a thirty hour week would immediately seriously increase business costs; at present such a change would be undesirable. A shorter working week would lessen production, a drop which would have to be met by additional labor. The new men hired would also be drawing wages, all of which would add to the overhead costs of business; this is a ridiculous burden to add to the shoulders of business which is already hard-pressed. Meanwhile the hoped-for increase in consumption would come only as a gradual trend.

The second objection to the shorter week with wages unreduced is the difficulty of putting it into practice. Competition would severely injure those businesses which would be sufficiently wealthy to adopt it. Nothing short of an act of Congress could make the plan at all effective, and it is doubtful if Congress would consider it. If wages are not reduced, many businesses unable to pay any more for labor will try to get along as best they can, without engaging additional workers. If then employment will not be benefited, the chief purpose of the Federation's proposal is completely nullified.

The chief goal of both capital and labor at present should be a united effort toward recovery from the depression. Regardless of the rights of one or the other, serious conflicts will only disrupt national affairs instead of alleviating them. If for both economic and practical reasons a thirty hour week may harm rather than benefit the country, it would seem unwise to advocate such a measure. However the Federation may feel about such a shorter working week, it is best to postpone such a change until conditions are favorable. The Federation's theory is sound; but to apply it completely in practice is impossible.