SPECIAL CLASSICS EXAM GIVEN TO 11 SCHOOLBOYS

Man With Highest Grade Will Receive One of Lowell Scholarships--Exam To Be Given Annually in June

One of two George Emerson Lowell Scholarships, with a stipend of $525, annually awarded to a member of the Freshman Class for "excellence in the Classics" will henceforth be awarded to the man who gets the highest grade on a special written examination in the Classics, to be given in June of each year and open to classical students in preparatory schools, it was learned yesterday at University Hall. This method of selecting the recipient of the Scholarship has been chosen in an effort to raise the standard of secondary school education in the classics, so that when the students come to Harvard, they will more nearly be able to read Greek and Latin as literature and not as drill.

Eleven men from six schools took this year's examination on Monday at their respective schools. Those who took the examination are: W. M. Higgins, Jr. and W. S. White, of Exeter; R. S. Playfair and H. S. Palmer, of Roxbury Latin; J. L. Angel, of Choate; Ralph Lazzaro, of Andover; W. H. Lee and Edward Motley, Jr., of Groton; and W. I. Gray, J. W. Flavin, S. J. Freedberg, L. E. Sweeney, and J. J. Sullivan, of Boston Latin.