SENATOR LOWELL

Last week, in a fit of political despair, Judson Hannigan, president of the Republican Club of Massachusetts, astounded his confreres by announcing that there was no Republican from this state qualified to run for senator next fall, and that he believed the only solution was to forget about it, and let all good Republicans vote for that perpetual "people's candidate," David I. Walsh. In this way, the party would not fall to pieces over the election of a senator, and could unite in placing a Republican governor into office.

In making these remarks, however, Mr. Hannigan has not only underestimated the advantage of uniting the party on a senatorial candidate, as well, but has overlooked the fact that Boston possesses such a candidate of its own, President Emeritus Lowell. In every respect has Harvard's former president the qualifications necessary to run for this office next fall,--a name that is known and respected throughout the state, a keen knowledge of public affairs, and a character which the press will find colorful and the Democrats hard to criticize. Even opportunely it happens that Dr. Lowell has no strong party affiliations, and would not necessarily represent Republican tendencies which might be repugnant to voters at this time.

The most patent objection to Mr. Lowell's candidacy will be that he is too old to enter the Senate for six years. Anyone acquainted with him, however, will readily testify that it will be a long time before Mr. Lowell is "too old" to hold any office, least of all that of senator. By bringing Mr. Lowell to Congress, the Republican party of Massachusetts will at once bring order to the party out of its present chaos, and at the same time place one of the state's leading citizens in a position in which he can be of inestimable value.