Rainey Says Economics Detrimental To Students Entering Changing Era

WOULD HAVE ENTHUSIASTS STUDY-IT OUT OF CLASS

"Students are better off without the courses in economics taught in colleges. A man trained in this field comes into the new era tremendously handicapped." This is the opinion of the Honorable Henry T. Rainey, Speaker of the House of Representatives, who was interviewed by a CRIMSON reporter just previous to the opening of the Seventy-third Congress.

"This is a changing world," he explained. "The developments of this period are overruling the teachings of economists. For a long time, they have taught that there are unvarying rules of economics to be relied upon. These assumptions are based upon the doctrines of economists who developed their theses when men depended upon their own muscles and brains, and upon the animals they had trained. Since these men all lived before the age of mechanization, these are archaic principles.

"It is untrue that economic laws are as unchanging as the laws of gravitation. The present recovery program is based upon the opposite assumption. Economic laws are controlled by man-made laws; otherwise we should never get out of the economic difficulty in which we find ourselves.

"If a man is interested in the subject for its own sake, he should study it as he wishes after graduation. But the standard courses taught in colleges are of no value."

In regard to fields of concentration which would be advantageous in preparing for a political career, Speaker Rainey said, "There is always value in majoring in history, but never in government. From a study of history and of present developments, the student should formulate his own ideas of the proper conduct of a government. In the study of history, there is cultural training and mental discipline, enabling the student to look forward to problems of the future."

The Speaker was asked what branch of government service offered the most favorable opening for men recently graduated from college.

"The diplomatic service offers the best possibilities. We now have career men in the service who enter as a result of passing an examination and receiving an assignment. These positions require a knowledge of at least one modern language. Such an office affords a life career, independent of political influence.

"At the present time, there is a splendid opportunity in the Russian service. We have only 32 men in the whole service who speak the Russian language, and they are in great demand. In the next two or three years, there will be opportunities for one or two hundred trained men in this branch of the consular department."

Public Service

Commenting upon Public Service, Speaker Rainey remarked, "Before considering such a career, a young man should have an assured income--something to fall back upon. Civil Service positions are obtained as a result of passing an examination and of an appointment by a departmental head. When the office-holder has reached the age of 60, he may be earning a salary of $4,000, and then he is gradually demoted. As there is little future in this division, I always advise young men against choosing it as a life occupation."

The Speaker went on to describe the most advantageous plan of study that a prospective politician should follow while an undergraduate. "Take a classical course," he said. "If possible, take six or seven years of Latin and five or six years of Greek. Study all the mathematics that you can. Few young men will agree that a cultural knowledge of the classics is important, but such training is invaluable in giving mental discipline. A young man should develop so that he can think along the proper lines.

"If a government career is your aim, go into a graduate school after securing your A.B. Training in mining or electrical engineering is preferable. A legal education is desirable before entering upon a legislative career. If a man feels perfectly satisfied that he is not justified in being a lawyer or a doctor, he might try the ministry as a last resort.

"Before entering the legislative branch of the government, a man should have a sufficient income established through a successful profession or in business. This independent income is necessary because offices are dependent upon carrying elections. Men are likely to be defeated at any time. No matter whether they are right or wrong. I advise against taking up a legislative career, which is so dependent upon elections and change of parties.

In conclusion, Speaker Rainey said, "Better than ever before is the opportunity for men with trained minds. Do not, however, train your mind in the study of economics. It is better to solve problems for yourself after acquiring correct habits of study.