"Mag" Salesman Tells Of "Spieling" Students' Til Trapped By Apted's Men

Louis Singer Finally Caught By Yard Cops; Promises Never To Return To Yard

Mr. Louis Singer, a proud magazine salesman from Winthrop, has recently published his thrilling experiences in "spieling" Harvard students as a composition entitled "My Two Years of Selling Magazines at Harvard College". Packed between the covers is a rushing sequence of crashing rooms of the "biggest Harvard men" in the Yard and in the Houses. Two years' of illegal presence on the grounds of Harvard University ended only last spring when "Charlie Apted said to me: 'Louis--he called me by my first name--'I want you to promise me that you'll never come into the Harvard Yard again.

"As the year 1934 progressed," Mr. Singer writes in a rapid style, only exceeded in speed by his machine-gun-like line of talk, "all the cops in the whole Harvard College had my name on their lips. Here was someone who had avoided them for two years and they were mad. They knew I was walking by them every night.

"Then came the fatel night I was caught. In Leverett House I met the meanest student at Harvard. I tried to sell him and failed because he was on the watch for me. As soon as I left him he called up the front gate and described me. At last they had me cornered. I did not know he had called at the front gate I want to the next entry and sold a few over there and as I was coming down the steps this same student comes running out to me and tells me a students wants to buy a subscription I did not suspect nothing until he brought me to the front gate and there was about three cops.

"I was arrainged the next morning for tresspassing and was let go on the promise that if I was caught again the fine would be $25.00. I figured I would take a chance again. I would go to the Dunster House where I had never seen a cop in the whole Dunster House yard except at the entrance of G where stood a cops room I entered from the Charles River gate and went into entry and through a passageway which brought to entry B the most deserted place in the Yard I opend B and there stood the same cop that had caught me the night before".

Louis has since stated that he never will come back to Harvard. He now "works the prep schools--St. Mark's, Groton, Milton, and so on. Those are the places the guys got a lot of dough".

Mr. Singer, a small earnest man who flutters and squirms as he talks, still wears his Harvard disguise: flannels, grimy white shoes, nipped-in tweed jacket, and an approximation of the "whiffle hair-cut". He carries a text-book and loose-leaf notebook.

Here is the way Louis got his start: "I arrived at Harvard Square at about 7. I did not know one building from the other so I went over to Levitt and Pierce's and got myself a Harvard directory this had all the names of every Harvard student and his room number".