RECORD NUMBER ROWED FROM WELD THIS FALL

Large List of Sculling Enthusiasts Despite Shortness of Season This Fall

The Charles is being deserted by the oarsmen as the Newell Boathouse completes the tucking away of boats and floats for the winter, and the Weld Club prepares to call in all singles.

The typical Harvard man of the future will have to go sculling down the Charles in a single every day if the number of men out for the individualist's sport continues to increase as it has in the last few years. The average number of men reporting daily for the sport this year promises to surpass by a considerable margin the previous all-time record made last year.

So far in 38 rowing days this year, boats have been taken out 5336 times, as against 5588 times in 49 rowing days last fall. A substantially larger daily average than was reached last year is expected before the season closes Saturday. Coach Blake Dennison has been keeping complete statistics, with graphs, on the daily attendance. The largest number of men out for any one day was on April 18, 1934, when 455 boats were used. The weekly high came in the second week of October this year, when the boats were used 1063 times.