100 MEN RESPOND TO QUESTIONNAIRE SENT OUT BY PBH

Continued Investigation of Housing Problem Indicates That K.E.X. Club Is Most Suitable

Of the 800 questionnaires distributed among the non-residents of Harvard by the Brooks House Investigation Committee, preliminary returns form 100 of them showed that 83 men answered negatively to the question, "Are you satisfied with the present facilities at Harvard for the men living at home?" while 17 men answered in the affirmative.

No statement has as yet been issued as to the responses to the question of whether the commuters would be willing to contribute ten dollars each toward the establishment of the new center, but Frederic A. Webster '35, President of Phillips Brooks House, announced that results from this would be tabulated in the last part of next week.

Meanwhile investigation of suitable houses for the proposed center continued, resulting in the elimination of the building at 68 Mt. Auburn Street as unsuitable for the budget allotment. Although the space requirements are adequately fulfilled by this building, the costs of adapting it to commuter needs would more than exceed the amount which the Committee has fixed upon for the project. In addition to the costs of painting, papering, and refurnishing the house, it would be necessary to tear down a number of partitions, as the bottom floor has a total of six rooms.

The K. E. X. Club was found to be satisfactory from all standpoints, but until the Committee has learned more definitely concerning several other buildings now under consideration, it is unwilling to commit itself to a final decision.

The University's stand upon the question has not yet been announced but depends largely upon the returns from the commuter questionnaires and the interest shown in the new project.