Advocate and Critic Merge into One Literary-Critical Magazine

Advocate Takes Critic Editors On Board--Officers of Paper To Remain the Same

After months of negotiation the editors of Harvard's two literary-critical publications, the Advocate and the Critic, agreed at a joint meeting yesterday to merge their two magazines under the aegis of the Advocate. The title "The Critic" will cease to be used and all of the material which has been prepared for the next issue of the Critic will appear in the December Advocate.

Under the new combination the Advocate will take over the publication of the analytical and critical articles in which the Critic has specialized and will extend its aims to include all aspects of the Critic's program. All of the members of the literary and business boards of the Critic have automatically become editors of the older publication and will be active on it. There will be no change in officers.

These ex-editors of the Critic, in a statement which was subscribed to by the Advocate, said that "the Critic, in merging with the Advocate, has in mind the formation of a well-balanced, critical and literary magazine. In so doing it aims at the following results: first, the elimination of competition for the expression of undergraduate opinion; second, the elimination of cut-throat competition in circulation and advertising."

The men affected by the merger are George L. Haskins '35, Charles R. Cherington '35, Henry V. Poor '36, and John P. Coolidge '36, all of whom become members of the Advocate board. John A. Strauss '36 and Charles A. Haskins '36 were also on the Critic but were at the same time on the Advocate.