SWIMMING TEAM MEETS WEAK F. & M. NATATORS

NATIONAL COLLEGE BACKSTROKE CHAMPION HERE

Entering its last competition before the Yale meet next Wednesday, the Varsity swimming team will face Franklin and Marshall in the Indoor Athletic Building Pool at 8.30 o'clock tonight. The visitors, with an intensive week's schedule including Yale Wednesday and Brown last night, should offer little opposition to the Crimson swimmers, except in the back-stroke event where Gordon Chalmers is slated to give Captain Ed Stowell a stiff fight for first place.

Chalmers, Olympic swimmer and National Collegiate Champion last year, has turned in a time of two minutes, 39 4-5 seconds and looms as a formidable threat to Stowell's record of being undefeated in 17 consecutive dual meets. Wednesday, the Crimson captain came within one-fifth of a second of breaking the World's record in the 220-yard back-stroke event, and has been clocked in a time just three-fifths of a second slower than the visiting star's for the 150-yard distance. It seems very likely that the pool record of one minute, 39 4-5 seconds made in 1930 by Kojac of Rutgers, will be broken.

The rest of the meet seems to be definitely Harvard's. Loventritt can look for an easy victory in the breast stroke, and Fitts and Merriam ought to find little difficulty in winning the dive. George Scott and Herb Howe, entered in the sprints also have the edge over their opponents in their events.

In the distance swims, where Coach Hall Ulen has no outstanding men. Donald Chalmers, brother of the back-stroker, will be entered, and may win the quarter-mile event. The Crimson relay, if it uses its full strength, swimming Wightman. Parker, Wallace, and Scott, would seem certain of taking the race. Ulen, however, if he is winning by a safe margin, will probably swim slower men