SURVEYING SCIENCE

Science is a field of such increasing importance in the life of every individual that it is high time there were some course at Harvard which filled the need for information of the average student. There has long been a need of a course which would survey the whole scientific field from an untechnical point of view, a course which would give one a perspective on scientific history, and teach one to appreciate the significance of modern science.

The two half courses covering the history of science require considerable technical knowledge to be enjoyed; and cannot attract the student whose primary concern is to gain an insight into the scientific method. Such a course necessitates a lecturer whose approach would be virtually that of the layman, and who would realize that his sole purpose would be to stimulate interest in a field that has unfortunately come to be associated too much with pure technique.

Courses in the history of art, and of the political and social aspects of life are vitally important. But it is no less important that a truly liberal education include a story and explanation of one of the few branches of knowledge that seems able to contribute to a better life. If more persons fully understood the benefits that could accrue to society from a sensible application of scientific knowledge, the impetus towards universal destruction might well be stayed.