THE PRESS

YOUR SIGNATURE, SIR

Does the Wellesley girl notice the details of her college boy friends' clothes? Or is she too absorbed in keeping her own aura of charm undisturbed by a shiny nose, a meandering lock, or even a temperamental shoulder strap to pay attention to such matters?

The answer is Yes! Indeed she does notice! She never fails to remark unkempt finger-nails, baggy trousers, or discords in color combinations. She is just as critical of the college man's shortcomings as he is of her periodical flights into the nightmares of fad-land.

High on the list of Wellesley's pet aversion stands the crew-cut. "Awful!" they say. "They look bristly in front and half-shaved behind." "Only about one boy in fifty has a head well-shaped enough to get away with it." A close runner-up is the emphatically-voiced dislike of moustaches. The "No's" boomed back with unhesitating rapidity and with no exceptions whatsoever. "They're much too young for moustaches," was a typical comment.

Wellesley is extremely sensitive to color combinations, too, it seems. Gay shirts are diverting, they find, but they must be worn with an eye to the general effect produced. Subtle, harmonizing combinations are in demand. No red-headed lad wearing pink shirts and purple ties with brown suits! A well-matched shirt, tie, and handkerchief seldom go unappreciated. On the other hand, black shirts are apt to be frowned on and no sympathy whatsoever is reserved for the unenlightened soul who appears in a gray and brown combination. "Revolting!" shudders the artistic Wellesley critic. "How can anyone stand a brown jacket with gray trousers!" "Ploppy and unimaginative." Thumbs-down is the high sign on derbies and corduroy pants, too.

Dirty white shoes, on the other hand, are in general approved of. From long years of jogging about campus in just such disreputable shoes, Wellesley knows all too well how comfortable and practical they can be.

The well-dressed college man always should look casual. Tweeds in the daytime (well-pressed and with matching accessories, of course!), and tails for formal occasions. --Wellesley News