Bowdoin and Belknap Prizes Totalling $275 Announced

Messing, Bassett and Robinson Gain Awards for Ability in Literature

Three prize awards totalling $275 were announced yesterday by the Council of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The Jeremy Belknap Prize of $50 for the best French composition written by a first-year student in Harvard College or in the Engineering School has been awarded to Gordon Myron Messing '38 of Indianapolis, Indiana. Honorable mention went to Daniel Thomas Skinner '38 of Boston and to Gordon Bell Allan '38 of West Medford.

The Bowdoin undergraduate prize of $75 for the best translation of a specified passage in Greek or Latin was won by Edward Lewis Bassett '36 of Marblehead for his translation into Attic Greek of a passage in C. H. Moore's "The Religious Thought of the Greek." Honorable mention went to John Joseph Ney '35 of Dorchester.

The graduate Bowdoin prize of $150 for an original essay in either Latin or Greek of not less than three thousand words goes to Edward Anthony Robinson '32, 3G, of Saranae Lake, New York, for his essay in Latin entitled "Quomodo Plato in Legibus Rationen Inter Mores Motusque Tractaverit."