HEARST MAN ALMOST EVICTED FROM ROOM

Enraged Proletariat Hurls Invective at Publisher During Meeting of John Reed Society

Threatening to oust a member of the Hearst press from the meeting, the John Reed Society held their first session of the year in Phillips Brooks House last night with about thirty members attending. Baiting the Hearst reporter as a biased foe to Communism and Socialism, members of the Society held a lively discussion as to whether news of their meeting should reach the public through the Hearst press, sworn foe against the principles of the group.

The Hearst press, it was claimed, worked unceasingly to ridicule and put in a bad light all radical organizations at Harvard, and certain Boston papers were said to give out highly colored versions of leftist movements within the college. The members of the Society by an overwhelming majority decided that no mercy should be shown the reporter and that he should be shown the reporter and that he should be made to leave the group immediately. Only when it was claimed that the ejection savored of Fascism and only after an earnest plea for fairness from the attending newspaperman, was he allowed to remain.

The study of the theory of socialism and of scientific socialism was explained as the purpose of the Society, founded in honor of John Reed, Class of 1910, a noted socialistic worker during the Russian revolution and author or "Ten Days That Shook the World."

With Robert Levi '38 presiding as temporary chairman, a temporary executive committee was formed. The members elected to it were Hume Dow '38, William T. Dean, Jr. '37, David E. Feller '38, Robert S. Levy '38, Basil Pollitt '40, Robert R. Ross '37, Boris Yuchu '38, and Margaret Harriss, Radcliffe.

This committee will arrange all details for the next few meetings and will have charge of securing speakers and enabling members to become more familiar with the principles of Marxism.

The Society throughout the year will have a threefold program, first, a series of bi-weekly study groups on problems connected with socialism; two, a series of discussion groups led by authorities on Socialism; and three, a few public meetings addressed by noted speakers.