THE PEOPLE'S FRONT AGAIN

The Harvard Student Union has begun its second year of life with a truly magnificent self-made aura of respectability. From a hasty coalition of tottering little leftist societies, the Student Union has grown, in its opinion, to where it must apologize for its bigness. All this is most impressive to the freshman who wants to speak his mind, and is being besought to don the motley of the Union--for a nominal sum.

But to the men who know its short but very eventful history, the Union is more of a curiosity than either a paragon or a menace. They saw its brave opening as a non-partizan organization. They heard the repeated assurances that it was a truly Harvard society, and then they watched it join at once the obviously radical National Student Union, and fall under the sway of a handful of typical campus radicals.

By opening the Fall campaign with respectable professorial speakers and non-partisan debates, the Student Union manages to put on a facade of official virtue. However, official virtue will be but small consolation to the disillusioned yearling if he finds that his money is to be used for such preciously futile pranks as strikes against non-existent wars. The Union can be constructive; it is up to the freshmen to help make it so.