"Social Register of Harvardmen" Sifts Out Undergraduates in Highest Society

Mystery Compilers Print Limited Private Edition to Aid Boston Matrons, Debs

Well calculated to turn Ann Marsters, whose efforts were demonstrated in her "Primer for Harvard students", green with envy and other ailments, is the widely heralded approach of the "Social Register of Harvardmen".

Birth of this magnum opus, which will name, with all the care usually assigned to picking All American football teams, and Davis Cup tennis, a "carefully sifted list" of several hundred students, whom the compilers firmly believe to be in at least the upper brackets.

Just who the compilers are seems to be the chief mystery of the affair. The Social Register Incorporated, from their New York office categorically denied all knowledge of the existence or imminent birth of the "Harvardmen's Register", and emphatically withheld their authorization. It was being rumored at an advanced hour last night that the whole thing was devised by Cambridge printing companies who get tired waiting for books to be written or magazines to be published, and decided something should be done about it.

At any rate discreet questionaires went out to the "carefully sifted" undergraduates yesterday requesting such anatomical data as "Where is your family's seat (or home)?" The words in parenthesis were added, it is suspected, for reasons obvious to the lay mind.

"What generation American are you?" rather abruptly asks another section of the questionnaire, followed by another parenthetical remark couched in tutoring school terms: "(Count yourself as 1)".

Further calculated to whet the appetites of prospective buyers and further calculated to arouse suspicions of inquisitive minds is the information that the book will have a "private circulation," will be a "Limited Edition," and will be "privately printed.'

In case anyone has been wondering just what the purpose behind all this is, it should be stated that, once printed with the names, clubs, activities, travel experiences, and future professions, of all those who received questionnaires, the book will then and a ready sale among Boston mothers, and any other mothers or daughters, etc., planning to invite large sections of Harvard students. In fact if the advertisements already sent to Boston matrons are to be believed the publication of the "Register" scheduled for October, roughly corresponds to the Millennium.

Even harder to discover than the compilers is how these slightly nebulous gentlemen are going to be able to offer all this for only $1. Because that's all it will cost. You send your check to the "Register," Box 342, Cambridge and back comes the book, all of which has a slightly theatrical sound, and just goes to show that people really do rent post office boxes in Cambridge