Dean, Athletic Chairman Appoint Kessler to 1937 Burr Scholarship

"All Around" Award Recipient Has Litman, Ames, Monroe, Wood, Hall as Predecessors

Charles William Kessler '37, of Salem, has received the Burr Scholarship award for 1937, the Committee on Scholarships announced yesterday.

A graduate of Salem High School, the recipient has a Dean's List academic rating, plays on the Varsity football team, and is a member of the Student Council and the Kirkland House Committee of which he is also chairman. He concentrates in economics.

Established in 1914

The Burr Scholarship was established in 1914 in memory of Francis H. Burr '09 by his friends, for award each year to a Senior who "combines as nearly as possible Burr's remarkable qualities of character, leadership, scholarship, and athletic ability." The Dean and the chairman of the Athletic Committee select the winner, who receives the gift in his fourth year, together with a copy of the memorial life of Burr.

Last year Robert C. Hall, of Brookline, won the scholarship. He was a member of the track team, the Student Council, the CRIMSON, and Phi Beta Kappa.