Business School Report in Discussion of Employment

Analyzes Causes of Falling Off of Employment in State

Chances for reemployment of Massachusetts industrial workers back to the 1929 level is very slight, according to a report published by the Bureau of Business Research of the Business School which was published today.

It was also pointed out that unemployment in this state started and continued all through the twenties, whereas it was upwards in the rest of the country. Because of the wide diversification of its industries and the predominance of consumers' goods Massachusetts did not suffer so heavily during the recent depression. Although it lost heavily, the state gained relatively over the rest of the United States.

During the last few years employment has increased slowly, but this increase has been slower than that throughout the rest of the country. Business recovery is not expected to solve the unemployment problem here.

The story is the work of Donald H. Davenport, associate Professor of Business Statistics of the Business School and John J. Croston, chief statistician of the Massachusetts census of unemployment.