Lamar Will Continue However as College Instructor

Trouble Believed to Have Begun After Disputed Yale Match Last February

Boxing as an intercollegiate sport at Harvard will be discontinued after the present season, according to an announcement last night released at the H.A.A.

The Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports voted unanimously at their last meeting "not to have an intercollegiate boxing team after this college year." Beginning with the academic year 1937-38, however, the sport will be conducted on an intramural basis.

Began in 1930

Boxing as an intercollegiate sport at Harvard began in 1930 after an undergraduate petition to the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports to establish the sport had been voted upon favorably, and also after a trial meet with M.I.T. had taken place. However, at that time the Committee made it clear that boxing was being established only on a probationary basis and would be carefully watched.

The Committee gave no reasons for its action yesterday, and it was merely stated at the H.A.A. that after watching the sport for five years, it had been decided not to vote for a schedule in 1937-38.

Although it was not confirmed officially, it was felt that the real reason for the discontinuance of the sport had its origin in the trouble with Yale this year which resulted in the dropping of the Elis from the present schedule.

Yale Dispute

After the Yale match last February, a dispute arose as to methods of scoring points and voting by the referees. Neither Malcolm Farmer, Eli Athletic Director, nor William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, could agree, and when the schedules for this year were released in May, Yale was not included on the Crimson boxing schedule.

With no objective match, and with the only opposition furnished by M.L.T., the U.S. Coast Guard, Princeton, and Virginia, it was felt that it would be better, on the whole, to confine boxing entirely to the College.

Lamar Retained

Henry Lamer, who has been coach of the boxing teams since 1932, will continue as boxing instructor, will be in charge of the intramural championships, another innovation that will commence next year. These championships replace the former University Championships, because the Committee felt that it was unfair for College Juniors and Sophomores to oppose third and fourth year graduate students.

Only undergraduates will be allowed to compete in the intramural championships, and this ruling will be effective for the tournaments to be conducted next year. it was stated.

The Committee's decision is final, and it appears likely at the present time that it will be permanent. The Committee consists of Mr. Bingham, chairman; A. Chester Hanford, Dean of the College; Chester N. Greenough, professor of English: and Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene as faculty members: William Edmunds, George Whitney, and Charles C. Buell.

Place photo has