History 1 Supremacy Threatened As Ec Enrollment Reaches 713

Three Score Yardlings' Hopes Dashed--Only Brilliant Men Admitted

Enrollment in Economics A jumped to 713 students yesterday as a rush of Freshmen and upperclassmen stormed the Boylston Reading room and Holyoke offices of Harold H. Burbank, David A. Wells Professor of Political Economy and head of the course. More startling, the supremacy of History 1, for years the largest course in the College, may be threatened, inasmuch as that course showed a total of only 712 students last year.

These figures are not official and may be modified to some extent due to course changes during the next week. However, exactly 648 students signified their intention of taking the course last spring, and 65 additional men were admitted by Professor Burbank today.

Increase of 55

This enrollment shows a net increase of 55 over last year when 658 men took the course. In 1934 the enrollment was 517, in 1933 435, which shows that the trend to the social sciences at Harvard is still going on.

Further, over three score Freshmen were denied admittance to the course yesterday when they applied, it being the strong opinion of the Department that only a well equipped student can flourish in the course.

Figures on the number of students entering History 1 and Government 1 were not available last night, but if the trend of the last three years continues, Gov. 1 will have picked up from its 644 students last year, 525 in 1934, and 536 in 1933. History 1 had an enrollment of 712 last year, 830 in 1934, 828 in 1933, thus showing a steady decrease.