University Codifies Regulations Governing Reception Of Women Guests In Houses, Clubs

Ladies May Enter Houses in Batches of Two or More Only

In answer to numerous requests the University rules governing reception of women guests in students' rooms have been codified and published anew this year.

The new rule adopted this year by the House Masters declaring that students may entertain ladies in their rooms only when they come in batches of two or more, is the regulation around which so much controversy has raged.

Text of the new rule follows:

Students living in the Houses will be given permission to entertain ladies in their rooms without a chaperon only if there are two or more ladies present. The House Masters may make exceptions in special cases."

The University's general rules regarding the reception of women guests by students are the same as in previous years. They are:

"Women shall not enter the Houses, dormitories, or clubhouses unattended; and a student when entertaining women guests, should see that they are properly escorted.

"A student living a House must obtain special permission from the Master or the Senior Tutor to receive women guests in his room.

"A student living in a University dormitory or elsewhere other than in a House must obtain special permission from the Proctor or the Dean of Harvard College to receive women guests in his room. Such permission will be granted only when a chaperon is to be present.

"No woman may be received in a clubhouse except by special permission of the Dean of Harvard College. Such permission will be granted only when a chaperon is to be present.

"Permission to entertain women guests will ordinarily be given only for the hours between 1 P. M. and 7 P. M."