BACKFIELD STILL NOT CERTAIN FOR CLASH WITH ARMY

Macdonald, Struck Also Still Bruised And May Not Be Able to Start in Game But Will See Action Anyway

By John J. Reidy jr.

A much improved team, which is apparently beginning to recover from its Tiger wounds, had a relatively light workout on Soldiers Field under the tutelage of Dick Harlow yesterday.

The line reported one hundred per cent O. K. except of course for Russ Allen. The story in the backfield, however, was not so hopeful. Chief Boston's condition is still doubtful. Torbert Macdonald and Vernon Struck were both held out of any heavy work.

The condition of Mr. Boston is critical enough to warrant the assumption that be may not play at all in the Army game. His understudy Cliff Wilson worked out in the A team backfield yesterday, and it is predicted by those who make a habit of predicting that he will be the man who trots out Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

If the starting team accords with the A team backfield as it ran through signals yesterday afternoon, it will contain a lot of faces usually strange to Stadium crowds. The backfield was composed of Wilson as blocking back, Harding tailback, Foley wingback, and Pope as bucking back. But probably Macdonald and Struck will be in condition by the and of the week, if not to start at least to see action. The line stood as usual with Hedblom at center, Klein in Allen's position.

At any rate the starting team will be announced on Friday, and until then the race is wide open. (Confidentially it all depends on the precinct leaders who get out the vote.)

The revised A team and the B team worked out yesterday in a dummy scrimmage against Army plays as put on by the Jayvees. Roberts and Harding punted under pressure. There was also some kicking done in the Stadium.

A mixed B and C team scrimmaged for a short while against the Jayvees. The afternoon was topped off with signal drill.