FRESHMAN FAVORS TO SOCIAL SCIENCES IN CONCENTRATION

English, Romance Languages Fall Off From Figures of 1939 Preferences at This Time Last Year

President Conant's recent commentary on a shift away from the Classics and Romance Languages as fields of concentration found some support yesterday in University C's report on tentative 1940 concentration preferences.

Though figures on next year's Sophomore concentrators are not definite, with 17 reports still out and in view of the fact that next fall's definite decisions on fields of concentration necessarily make present figures inaccurate, a distinct trend toward the social sciences is evident.

English, usually the leader in concentration compilations, gives way to Government, Economics, and History this year as 1940 men boost Economics and Government to a leading tie of 124 concentrators each. While Government rose from 105 concentrators to 124, English fell from 109 to 83.

Out of the 26 fields of concentration 14 showed an increase of concentrators this year, 10 showed a loss, while two remained unchanged. Marked increases were shown in nearly all the sciences. Chemistry rose from 46 concentrators of last year to 66 for this year. Biology increased from 26 to 35, and the Geological Sciences have 22 concentrators this year as contrasted to last year's 18. Romance Languages fell from 53 concentrators to 36. Contradictory to the general science trend Physics dropped from 23 to 18, and Fine Arts increased from 18 to 28. Philosophy, too, rose slightly, from 17 to 21.

The other fields remain largely the same. History and Literature showed an increase of only two men, to make its total 47. History and Science had no concentrators last year, while this year two Freshmen have signified their preferences for it.