Tbe Crime

"To Err is Human, To Forget Divine".

One of the undeniable prerogatives of great men is the right to forget about everyday things, to miss out on details of ordinary existence that occupy the thoughts of petty men, men who lack the ability to bestride the world like a Colossus in their appointed tasks of human endeavor. A figure who has led the world in his interpretation of the Romantic poets, for instance, is the Francis Lee Higginson Professor of English Literature. But John Livingston Lowes displays the most lovable trait of complete indifference to the Harvard catalogue, and he has from time to time announced in his lectures that he cannot remember the names and numbers of the courses in English, despite the fact that he holds the rank of senior professor in the field. He has even promised that someday he will take a day off to find out what are the courses that the department is giving.

But yesterday there appeared a notice in the Official Notice Column that set English students on their car.

"English 15 and 50. No meetings today."

English 15 is all right. It is scheduled to gather on Mondays and Wednesdays at nine o'clock. But the last class in English 50 took place a year ago come May, and another is not expected until the College opens in September.