GUARDIAN TO PUBLISH FOREIGN AFFAIRS BOOK

Work Titled "Before America Decides--Foresight in Foreign Affairs" Has Contributions From Faculty Men

Embarking on a pioneer venture in undergraduate editing the University Press publishes today "Before America Decides--Foresight in Foreign Affairs" edited by members of the Guardian staff.

In this volume, specialists in various fields have contributed chapters covering some of the factors which must go into the formulation of an American foreign policy.

President emeritus A. Lawrence Lowell leads off with a chapter stressing the importance of planning for future contingencies which the State Department must meet. Divided into three parts, the book covers "World Background," "American Background" and "The Issues" with chapters by Harvard's Payson Wild, Jr., Holcombe, Clarence Haring, Reginald H. Phelps, and F. Morstein Marx and such men as Hans Kohn, Samuel F. Bemis, and Philip Jessup.

Foreign Policy Legislation

One of the most pertinent chapters, in view of announced efforts to revise Neutrality legislation this fall, is the Phillips Bradley analysis of the "Economic Factors" in foreign policy, and his detailed suggestions for overcoming many of the unworkable features of the present legislation.

Departing from usual Press practice, the book is illustrated throughout with a number of cartoons by members of the Guardian staff. In connection with publication of "Before America Decides," an exhibition of World War propaganda posters and cartoons from all countries is being scheduled by Widener Library for this week.