HOPF CLAIMS INCREASE OF BUREAUS IS SERIOUS

At Guardian Meeting Economic Expert Complains of Inefficiency; Conference Starts Today

"Washington is faced with an unparallelled management problem resulting from an unequalled expansion in the administrative department," declared Harry A. Hopf, Deputy President of the Seventh International Management Conference at a preliminary meeting of the Guardian Conference on Public Service delegates in Winthrop House Junior Common Room last night.

Hopf, who has spent over thirty years in Washington as efficiency adviser, and consulting engineer on people and buildings, insisted that the Federal government was trying to make managers out of technicians, and pointed out that the transition was impractical, and would bring nothing but increased inefficiency.

"The trouble is," Hopf continued, "that efficient management is the efficient planning, control, organization and coordination of human and material resources in an enterprise and the Washington galaxy of bureaus and agencies don't organize that material."

Aside from political interests, which he believed should be eliminated as far as possible, by an independent, trained, and permanent Civil Service, Hopf declared himself strongly in favor of the ill-fated Reorganization Bill which was killed by the last session of Congress.

Arnold Brecht, professor of Politics at the New School for Social Research in New York, and W. W. Stockberger, adviser to the Secretary of the U. S. Department of Agriculture spoke at the same meeting. John J. Maguire, Commander of the Massachusetts American Legion and D. H. Davenport, associate professor of Business Statistics, were others of the senior delegates who attended the junior delegate meeting.

The conference will begin officially when President Conant delivers an opening address at a meeting of the delegates in Winthrop House Senior Common Room tomorrow morning at 10:15 o'clock