Summer School Sends Field Course to Near Eastern Architectural Monuments

Mather Announces Group Will See Outstanding Sites in Trip to Mediterranean

Through the eastern Mediterranean the Summer School will conduct a field course from July 2 to August 17 to study the great architectural monuments of the Near East, Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology and Director of the School, announced yesterday.

The party, third to be conducted by the college abroad, will be led by Kenneth J. Conant, professor of Architectural, who take the group through outstanding buildings of Egypt, Palestine Syria, Turkey, and Greece.

Lectures on Shipboard

Open to both men and women students, the course will include daily intermal lectures by Conant on shipboard and at historic stopping places on the way.

The trip is arranged particularly for students desiring a general appreciation of the Near Eastern scene, Mather said, but Conant will hold special conferences and examinations for those wishing advanced credit.

Studies St. Sophia

Conant, one of the country's leading scholars in the architecture of the Near East, has made intensive studies and re storation drawings in connection with the work of Russian students on the former cathedral of St. Sophia at Kiev and the church of St. Theodosia in Constantinople.

He has also spent much time studying the Abbey of Cluny in Burgundy first European church to have pointed arches, tracing the origin of these arches through southern Italy to northern Africa.

Last summer's architectural field trip went through northern Europe from London to Moscow.