Business Student, Former National Table Tennis King, Trains on Champagne and Stout for Wins

Advises Black Velvet Cocktail As Pre-Game Nip; Troubled By Fan Mail

"If you want to be hot at ping-pong, start training on scotch and soda early in life," James M. Jacobson 1B, former national table tennis champion advised ping-pong hopefuls in an interview yesterday.

Located playing bridge over in McCulloch Hall, Jacobson appeared unrufiled by the fact that a Newton High School senior is listed ahead of him in the state rankings released yesterday. "I've been bringing him along; that's all," said the champion modestly.

Training's no problem for Jacobson, who claims he's hit 40,000,000,199 balls in his career. All he needs is plenty of sleep, especially in the morning. "I always drink a Black Velvet, which is a concoction of Guinness Stout and champagne, just before a match," he says.

Big Man With Paddle

Jacobson is considered one of the big men in table tennis circles. Winner of the national singles in 1934, he took the doubles in 1933 and 1936, and was runner-up in the Eastern States singles this year.