Opening of New Littauer School of Public Administration, Appointments of Claflin, Little, and Others are Announced

Archibald M'Leish to be Curator Of New Nieman Collection on Today's Journalism

Amid the turmoil of the weekend, which included a hurricane and the arrival of Freshmen and Upperclassmen, the University announced the official opening of the new Littauer School of Public Administration, which will have fifteen students the first year within its great white walls.

Besides several appointments to the Faculty, it was announced, in addition, that William H. Claflin, Jr. '15, former president of the Boston Stock Exchange, will replace Henry L. Shattuck '01 as treasurer of the University. Also, David M. Little '18, will become the new Master of Adams House.

The University announced today the appointment of Reinhold Ruedenberg, Consulting Engineer of the General Electric Company, in London, as Gordon McKay Professor of Electrical Engineering, and Martin Wagner formerly head of the Building Department of the City of Berlin, and Counsellor for City Planning in Istanbul, Turkey, as assistant professor of Regional Planning.

Among other new members of the Harvard staff this, year will be John Everett Gordon, of Chicago, Field Director of the International Health Division of the Rockefeller Foundation, who has been named Professor of Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology at the Medical School.

Archibald MacLeish, poet and magazine writer, who won the Pulitzer poetry prize in 1932, will be Curator of the newly founded Nieman Collection of Contemporary Journalism at the Library. He will supervise the formation of a library of general literature on modern journalism, and also a microfilm collection of major contemporary newspapers in many countries.

Mr. MacLeish will also be one of the advisors of the group of nine American newspapermen attending Harvard this year as the first holders of Nieman Fellowships, established by the bequest of about $1,000,000 by Mrs. Agnes Wahl Nieman, of Milwaukee, "to promote and elevate the standards of journalism in the United States."

The new Graduate School of Public Administration, endowed by Lucius N. Littauer '78 of New York, opens for its first regular session this fall, after more than a year of exploratory conferences between government officials and Harvard professors, working out a new type of curriculum for this field. During the first year there will be fifteen students, winners of the first Lucius N. Littauer Fellowships for study and research at the school. Ten of the Fellows have been in the federal government service.

Eleven research seminars will be conducted at the new school during the year by prominent Harvard professors in government, economics, and business. Heinrich Bruening, former Chancellor of the German republic, will have a group on "Government Regulation of Industry." Among the other subjects taken up will be "Agricultural, Forestry, and Land Policy," "Economics of Collective Bargaining;" "Federal Administration;" "The Legislative Process;" and Price Policies."

The Littauer Center for Public Administration, given by Mr. Littauer to house the new school, is at present under construction and will be completed during this academic year. Until then, the school will continue to be housed in Hunt Hall.

Now nearing completion is the new Hemenway Gymnasium on Massachusetts avenue near the Law School. Built to replace the old Hemenway Gymnasium, which was a Harvard landmark from 1878 until its removal last year to make room for the Littauer Center, the new structure will contain squash courts and other exercise facilities.

A new feature of the educational program of the College this year will be the encouragement of extra-curricular study of American history among upperclassmen through the appointment of a counselor in this field to each of the seven residential Houses. Holding title as Fellows in American History, the counselors will act as unofficial tutors for all students interested in outside study of problems of American civilization.

On the administrative side, Harvard this fall has a new treasurer, William H. Claflin, Jr., '15, former president of the Boston Stock Exchange and former partner of Tucker, Anthony, and Company, Boston. Mr. Claflin succeeds Henry L. Shattuck, '01, of Boston who resigned last spring.