THE SQUARE SQUARE

In the last years of the nineteenth century, Harvard students were the blood let victims of Cambridge merchants. These gentlemen, because of the poor transportation facilities, had a virtual monopoly over the student' purchasing power. And thus Charles H. Kip '83 was moved to organize the Harvard Cooperative Society. Mr. Kip's main purpose in founding the Society was to make living cheaper for the students, what at that time were unduly burdened with the exorbitant prices charged by local establishments.

Today, however, the basic reason for the founding of the Coop has disappeared. Harvard square merchants have fully realized that to cater to the student trade they must truly serve that clientele. Thus, prices have been reduced to standard levels, and the student is no longer penalized. In fact he stands to gain in two ways because of the foundation of the Coop.

First, he has all of the many specialty shops from which to choose, and where he may now but at reasonable prices. "Necessities" stores-stationary and drug stores, book stores, sporting goods stores-offer the student anything he may desire. There are also the shops which cater to the so-called "quality trade" whose prices are somewhat higher, but whose superior merchandise and more personal service give the student full value for money received.

Secondly, the Coop has grown into a full fledged department store. Its inventory-from soap dishes to suits-encompasses anything a student might possibly desire. It is a great boon to the students. And of course there's a dividend, too.

The student, then, is in a much more favorable position in regard to his purchases than were his predecessors not so many years ago. True, transportation facilities have been greatly improved but, alas, too late. Today there is the taxi, the subway, the automobile. They are in vain. Happily, there is also the new and square Harvard Square. And for this pleasant situation, the Coop is largely responsible.