CHAIRMAN OF 1940 ALBUM COMMITTEE DISCLOSES PLANS

Says Makeup Will Suffer No Radical Changes, but Board Will Introduce Added Informality

With the publication date still six months away, the Senior Album Board has already laid the groundwork and even made a tentative plan of composition for the 1940 year book, John L. Donnell '40, the chairman, said last night.

Although the book will have no radical departure from previous years, the Board intends to place greater emphasis on pictures, primarily informal cuts. And in general the plan for 1940 will be for greater informality throughout, with action and color photographs and candid shots of athletics, Houses, and social activities.

Five Seniors on Board

In addition to Donnell who superintends all the work, the Board is composed of Phil C. Neal '40, editorial chairman; William H. Daughaday '40, Business Manager; Tudor Gardiner '40, in charge of biographies; and Vinton Freedley, Jr. '40, who will handle the photographic work.

To date the committee has been largely concerned with selecting its engraver, printer, and photographer, all of whom have been determined. Pictures of the class have been taken by the Sargeant Studio in all the Houses and in Dudley; biography blanks for all Seniors will be sent out shortly after Christmas vacation.

As Many Cuts as Stories

Included in the tentative plans worked out for the book are a novel cover, and two or three-color division pages. In increasing the number of photographs, the board hopes to reach a 50-50 ratio between pictures and written material.

Donnell said last night. "We expect to expand the album a great deal," and intimated that an increase in price over last year's $7.50 charge might be necessitated. With the exception of the 1939 book, Albums have been traditionally priced at $10; Donnell stated that this year's book would in no event exceed that figure, with a strong possibility of being less.