NEAL MADE PRESIDENT OF DEBATING COUNCIL

TEAM MEETS VASSAR OVER WAAB FEBRUARY 17

At a meeting of the Debating Council last night, Phil C. Neal '40 was elected to succeed Lawrence F. Ebb '39 as Council President, Malcolm R. Wilkey '40 became vice-president; John Orloff '41 was named secretary; and Paul W. Cherington '40 became the treasurer.

The schedule for this semester includes more than 20 debates, including nine "Harvard Forum of the Air" broadcasts. First in the regular WAAB series is the February 17 debate with Vassar College, on the resolution, "That women should declare themselves independent of fashion." Harvard will maintain the negative side of the question.

Other debates have been arranged in which the Harvard team will meet John Marshall, William and Mary, Florida, Mt. Holyoke, and Washington and Jefferson. In addition to the regular series of radio debates, there will be two national broadcasts in the latter part of March. In one program the Crimson will be pitted against Columbia over the Mutual broadcasting system; in the other they will oppose tiny William Jewell College over NBC.

Trials will be announced during the forthcoming week for admission of new members to the Council.