University Waitresses Receive Less in Income Than Girls Working in Square

Get More In Actual Wages; Others Depend Largely On Tips For Livelihood

The question most frequently asked with regard to the current wage controversy between the A. F. of L. and the University is "What do do they get in the Square?"

Girls working in restaurants not selling liquor commonly receive a $12 wage and tips. In one establishment, where tipping is discouraged, a minimum wage of $14 prevails. Waitresses who are also required to set as salesgirls receive proportionately more.

Hot Spots Pay Less

In restaurants selling liquor, the average wage in the Square is $8, with some places paying less than this amount. In Boston, girls not infrequently work for nothing in such establishments and live exclusively on tips.

University waitresses receive no tips, $14 a week, three meals a day free of charge, and their uniforms. A value of $3.50 a week would probably be placed on the meals, raising the actual wage to $17.50.

Whereas University waitresses always know what their weekly paycheck will be, outside waitresses can never be sure. Girls in the Square have been known to make $40 a week, that is, $32, in tips. They think it a poor week when they make no more than $20.

Personal Appeal

The whole matter of waiting on table outside rests on personal appeal. One proprietor told the CRIMSON recently, "Few House waitresses could make a living in the Square."

Those who look with disfavor on the increase demanded by the A. F. of I. point to the permanence and stability of University employ, and to superior working conditions. The University saves jobs for waitresses intending to return after the summer recess.