CORPORATION TO FILL TWO PROFESSORSHIPS

ROLLINS, MAGOUN, MURDOCK SEEN AS LIKELY CHOICES

The Harvard Corporation will meet today for the first time since the illness of President Conant, who has just returned from convalescing in Florida.

Facing the Corporation at this or its next fortnightly meeting will be the problem of appointing men to fill two vacant chairs in the English Department. These are the Francis Lee Higginson Professorship, recently vacated by John L. Lowes '05, and the Gurney Professorship of English Literature, rumored vacated by Fred N. Robinson.

The men will probably be picked from among the following: John N. D. Bush, professor of English; Howard M. Jones, professor of English; Francis P. Magoun, Jr. '16, professor of Comparative Literature; Francis O. Matthiesson, associate professor of History and Literature; James B. Munn '12, professor of English; Kenneth B. Murdock '16, professor of English; John T. Murray '99, professor of English; and Hyder E. Rollins, professor of English.

It is believed that the probable recipient of the Francis Lee Higginson professorship will be Professor Rollins, who has taken over all of Professor Lowes' courses. Rumor also names Professor Magoun, who will take Professor Robinson's courses, or Professor Murdock to succeed to the Gurney professorship.