Possible Concentration Schedules

Following are some sample programs drawn up by the Faculty Council Committee on Broader Programs of Study.

AREAS

Three Areas were set up (the Humanities, the Social Sciences, and the Natural Sciences), which cut across departmental lines. Within the individual "areas" certain "pattern" fields have been suggested.

EXPRESSION AND THE ARTS

(from the Humanities)

The field of the "Expression and the Arts" is divided into five divisions:

The first is the Nature of Expression, in which not less than 1 1/2 courses is required in certain relevant Philosophy and Psychology courses.

The second is the Forms of Expression, in which the student in required to take three courses. The forms of expression are found in courses dealing with drama, the novel, poetry, music, painting.

The third is the Social and Intellectual Backgrounds of Expression, in which two courses are required. The courses include ancient culture subjects along with Comparative Literature, History, Government theory, and cultural backgrounds in various countries and civilizations.

The fourth is the History of European Literatures and Study of the Principal European Authors, requiring two courses in certain ancient or modern languages, or in the works of certain major writers.

The last is Practice in Expression, in which two courses are allowed in English composition.

SPECIMEN PROGRAMS UNDER "EXPRESSION AND THE ARTS"

A. For students for whom both English A and an elementary foreign language course are required.

1ST YEAR

English A

History I

French (elem)

Biology (elem)

2ND YEAR

Phil C

English 1

French 10

Fine Arts 1e

3RD YEAR

Comp. Lit. 19

French 6

Phil. 6 1/2

History 34a 1/2

English A-2

4TH YEAR

Phil. 14 1/2

Comp. Lit. 4

Slavic 1

English 80

B. For students of literary ability; English A not required.

1ST YEAR

English 1

History 1

Italian (introd.)

History of Music

2ND YEAR

English 80

Italian 10

English A-2

Phil. B

3RD YEAR

Anthropology 1

History 21b 1/2

Government 5

English 5

English A-4

4TH YEAR

English 180

2 electives free

HISTORY OF SOCIAL CHANGE

(from the Humanities Area)

An historical study of the interaction of the law of social continuity and the law of social change. The forces which make for change. The resulting maladjustments. The effort of society to achieve security through the mechanisms of invention, reform, and revolution. RELEVANT COURSES History 5a, b  History of the U.S.  History 50  Modern Germany History 32a, b  Continental Europe  History 55  Russia History 40  England  History 60b  American Revolution History 42  England  History 62  Westward Movement History 46a  France  History 63  U.S.--Social History 47b  France  History 65b  The South Government 5  Political Theory  Sociology 5  Social Dynamics Economics 11b  Socialism  Sociology 6  Social Institutions Economics 36  Economic History  Sociology 6b  Religion Psychology 16  Social Psychology  Sociology 7a, b  Social Pathology Sociology 3  Social Change  Sociology 7c  European Reforms Sociology 4  Social Organization

SAMPLE PROGRAM History 1  Sociology A History 5a, b  Economics 11b History 63  Sociology 5, 6 History 65b  Government 5 Anthropology 1  Psychology 16

COMBINATION FIELDS Engineering Science and Economics COURSES FROM THE NATURAL SCIENCES Physics C  Engineering Science 4 Chemistry B  Engineering Science 7a and 7b Chemistry 2  Engineering Science 9a and 9b Mathematics A COURSES FROM THE SOCIAL SCIENCES Economics A  History 1 Economics 21a and 26b  English A Economics 36  English 1 Anthropology 1  2 electives