Sheean Says We Cannot Keep Out Of Foreign Crises

Reporter Wants More Correlation Between Courses and Current World Events

"Without moving to another planet the United States can't stay out of European affairs. The view that we should isolate ourselves and count our shekels is impossible and unrealistic."

This statement was made in an interview yesterday by Vincent Sheean, author and foreign correspondent, in a plea for more intelligent study of world affairs. Students should prepare themselves for the crises in Europe and Asia by following the trends; and the colleges should help them by correlating the teaching of history more closely with contemporary happenings, Sheean said.

A correspondent of long experience, Sheean began his career on the University of Chicago's student paper, where he says he got valuable training.

Special Reporter Now

Now he does special reporting. Whenever he hears of a particularly interesting story, he wires the New York Times or the North American Newspaper Alliance for permission to cover it. The author of "Personal History" has lately been studying opposition to fascism in Europe in preparation for a book which comes off the press next June called "Not Peace but a Sword."

Reporting Hitler's march into Czecho-Slovakia for a New York paper, he said that the Nazi move came as no surprise to foreign correspondents in Prague. "We had expected it for several months before it occurred, and the only reason the American papers seemed so upset about it is that they didn't follow their foreign correspondents."

Hitler's attack on the Czechs is just a part of the great expansion, within and without, which the Germans are having, Sheean said. The German press and radio is so censored that the people have lost interest in Hitler's dramatic moves, he went on. They were more concerned with a new cheap car the government is building than in the seizure of the Czechs.