Copeland, Loved Professor, Is 79; Was Recently Ill

English Professor for Thirty-Five Years Greeted By Thousands

Charles Townsend Copeland '82, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, emeritus, celebrates his seventy-ninth birthday today with the good wishes of thousands of men to whom he has been teacher and friend.

From 1892 to 1928 "Copey" taught English at Harvard. Famed for his courses in English composition, he has influenced many graduates in their literary careers. He has written several books, two of which, the "Copeland Reader" and the "Copeland Translations" have been deemed most valuable contributions to American letters.

This year "Copey" has not carried out his annual custom of giving a Christmas reading to the Freshman Class, reading on Christmas Eve at the President's house, or spending ten Wednesday evenings with a few Yardlings at his Concord Street apartment, because of his doctor's orders that he should not have too many definite engagements. He will, however, give a Bible reading on May 4 in the upper common room of the Union.

Next year he hopes to continue with his readings and discussions with Freshmen.