Stahlmen Combat Cornell for Lead In Batting Race

Lupien, Polzer of Big Red In Tie For Batting Lead With .429 Average

Floyd Stahl's Harvard nine, returning to the form that made it the most dangerous team in E. I. L. baseball, regained first place Saturday by tumbling the defending Indians down into third place and enabled an improved Cornell to jump into the runner-up spot by virtue of its victory against Yale last Friday.

Resurgent Cornell, which now constitutes the biggest hurdle for the Crimson to pass, continued its sensational streak by trouncing Yale 5 to 2. Walt Sickles, Sophomore hurling star, hung up his fourth win in five games for the Big Red. The Stahlmen have yet to face Cornell in Ithaca, but the Big Red and the Big Green still have a two game series to play.

Like their teams, Harvard and Cornell individuals are showing the way in every offensive department. Cornell's George Polzer and Harvard's Lupe Lupien are tied in the Charles H. Blair Bat competition for the individual batting title, each with a mark of .429, consisting of 12 hits in 28 trips to the plate. Ned Hein of Dartmouth has .438 but he has played in only 2-3 of his team's games. George Hanna of Dartmouth, last week's pace-setter, went hitless Saturday in four official times at bat and dropped to an even .400.