Alumnus Desires Faculty Action vs. Tutoring Schools

L. S. White '37, Former Head of Student Council Investigation, Praises Attack

In a letter to the CRIMSON received yesterday, Leavitt S. White '37, Chairman of the Student Council Committee on Tutoring Schools in 1937, praised the current attack on the Cambridge bureaus.

"As chairman of that 'punch-pulling' Student Council Committee, I had the opportunity to get a really intimate picture of the condition," stated the head of the Committee that wrote a twenty page report on tutoring schools two years age.

White remarks in his letter that the Committee was surprised at the size of the schools as proven by the poll run at that time but he adds, "from one point of view we had to pull our punches to get anyone to believe us."

Urges Faculty Action

"As you know, the Faculty went along half-heartedly, somewhat ashamed, I think, to recognize the situation and also somewhat afraid to take drastic action because of the publicity angle," he continued.

Although the Student Council felt that the Faculty should take definite action, White insists "it was definitely up to the student body as a whole to take the deciding step."

The former Student Council member believes that the refusal of advertisements in student publications would fatally would the existing tutoring bureaus.