Seniors Choose Business, Law, Medicine as Favored Vocations

Teaching, Sciences Follow--70 Fields Represented in Album Lists; No Firemen

The call of the swivel chair and big buzzers with buttons once again proves more potent than the excitement of the courtroom or the harrowing drama of the country doctor's life as the Senior class plumps for business as an intended vocation over law and medicine.

Three-fourths of the graduating Senior class indicated their intended future profession in the Senior Album, and 207 students indicated business as their field as compared to 119 for law, and 96 for medicine.

Seventy-nine stated teaching to be their life work to round out the four leading professions to be chosen by Harvard's 1939 edition.

Far behind teaching come the sciences, with chemistry on top with 32, engineering with 27, geology 9, and anthropology and archaeology three apiece.

Public service with 26, journalism 23, advertising 15, writing and banking 13, actuarial sciences, architecture, and foreign service with 11 complete the list of occupations carrying more than ten Seniors.

Some Measure of Wit

Practically every field of honest and, possibly, questionable, endeavor is included among the remaining vocations. Manufacturing, education, insurance and merchandising draw over five from the class. The usual amount of dry wit is present in one man's statement that he wants to be a beach-comber, and author's that he intends to become a "raconteur"-Dwight Fiske.

The fine arts claim two Seniors who want to become painters, while two more intend to enter the field of music. A concert singer and a composer fill out Harvard's contribution to the aesthetic arts.

Among the more unusual professions selected are: psychiatry, restaurant managing, promotion, vocal aptitude testing, aviation, lithography, yacht building, exporting, neuro-surgery, and planning. One man has elected to follow the tortuous path of chiropody.